Saying goodbye to someone dear who has passed away is always difficult. When choosing flowers for a funeral or to lay on a grave, it’s natural to want to communicate one final, special message. Selecting varieties and colors that are symbolic is a touching way to send a unique message to your friend or family member.
Find out which flower types stand for things that words cannot always express. Whether you want to convey love, friendship, peace or sorrow, you can honor a loved one with the flowers that you choose.
- Rose – This go-to flower for every occasion also has special meaning in funeral arrangements or when placed at someone’s grave. Roses come in a rainbow of colors, each with its own special meaning. Red roses are the most classic symbol of love and passion for the person who has passed.
- Tulip – The color red is particularly meaningful for tulips, as well. Red tulips stand for perfect love.
- Orchid – This elegant flower is often found in funeral arrangements or given as a plant to express sympathy for someone’s death. They can be found throughout the year. We recommend white or pink phalaenopsis or dendrobium orchid this type of occasion.
- Lavender – In many cultures and traditions, lavender is a sign for love, romance and devotion. It was also associated with protection, happiness, rest and bringing peace to relationships. Lavender blooms in the spring in shades of purple, white, pink and blue.
- Rose – Yellow and coral roses, in particular, are classic symbols for friendship, joy and the promise of new beginnings.
- Alstroemeria – Also known as the Peruvian lily, this flower embodies the meaning of friendship. It also symbolizes good luck and prosperity. It can be the perfect variety for decorating a friend’s gravestone.
- Violet – Dating back to the Romans, violets have long been associated with peace, loyalty, affection and healing. Some believed that this perennial flower would bring peace to their loved one in the afterlife.
- Lilac – Lilacs belong to the same dendrological family as the olive tree, which has been the traditional symbol for peace. The blue lilac illustrates tranquility and violet lilacs express spirituality.
Floral sympathy arrangement with white spider mums, pink roses, pink carnations, white daisies, purple tulips, purple Peruvian lilies, purple blazing stars and greenery created by Dietz Floral Studio.
- Dahlia – This bold, yet relatively unusual flower, stands for dignity, lasting commitment and elegance. It comes in a wide variety of shapes and shades and its full blossom stands out in any arrangement.
- Daffodil – To show someone that you care, daffodils can bring a bright, cheerful message of hope. Because they are symbols of renewal, daffodils are a popular gift for a grieving family or friend.
- Gladioli – This is another classic variety for funeral and sympathy floral arrangements. These long-stem flowers are available in many different colors. Gladioli stand for strength of character, sincerity, integrity as well as generosity, faithfulness and honor. Bringing this meaningful flower to the cemetery is a powerful sign of respect for the deceased.
- Hyacinth – These graceful flowers communicate sorrow, grief and sadness. Purple hyacinths are often used in funeral arrangements because they are so closely associated with mourning.
- Chrysanthemums – Mums are a very commonly used flower for funeral and sympathy arrangements. This is because they are elegant flowers which come in a wide range of colors and can be found at any time of year. In many European cultures, mums are exclusively used to decorate graves and to remember those who have died. White chrysanthemums have special meaning; they symbolize honesty, truthfulness and integrity. Other shades are often used to send a message of care and support to the family of someone who has passed away.
Floral sympathy arrangement with white spider mums, pink stargazer lilies, red roses, red carnations, baby’s breath and greenery created by Dietz Floral Studio.
- Lily – The white stargazer lily, in particular, symbolizes sympathy. Lilies are commonly used in funeral service florals because of this special meaning and their beautiful blossoms.
- Carnations – Long lasting and sweet smelling, carnations are also a standard choice for sympathy florals. They come in a virtually infinite range of hues and have always represented admiration. Pink carnations symbolize remembrance, while white carnations indicate love and purity. Additionally, red carnations are the state flower of Ohio, which has special meaning for many of our local clients.
- Anemone – In both the Christian religion and Greek mythology, anemones have been used to depict sorrow and death. Yet their beautiful, large blossoms in unusual shades give a look of sophistication and elegance to any floral arrangement with special meaning.
- Daisy – Laying spring daisies at someone’s grave communicates new beginnings, innocent and purity.
- Freesia – This lovely, fragrant flower stands for innocence, sweetness and thoughtfulness.
- Hydrangea – Saying ‘thank you’ can be important for those who are grieving the loss of someone important in their lives. Because hydrangeas represent gratitude and sincerity, they are often laid at the headstones of parents and friends. Hydrangea plants can also make a thoughtful gift for the family at the funeral.
Floral sympathy arrangement with hydrangea, purple daisies, white mums, purple blazing stars and greenery created by Dietz Floral Studio.
- Zinnia – Brightly colored zinnias are strongly symbolic for remembrance and honor. The small, ruffled flowers are available in many different colors to best express your sentiments.
- Forget Me Not – Its name says it all. This subtle, delicate blue flower is symbolic for memories, hope and true love.
- Statice – Though it’s considered an herb, the statice flower connotes remembrance, sympathy and success.
- Iris – With delicate petals and bold colors, irises make for beautiful sympathy and funeral arrangements. When chosen as the flower to lay on someone’s grave, it demonstrates wisdom and trust. This spring flower can be found year-round in yellow, white and purple, just to name a few.
- Aster – Bright, bold aster blossoms are a beautiful expression of devotion and wisdom.
The experienced floral designers at Dietz Floral Studio can assist you in creating the most sentimental floral arrangement with just the right meaning. Contact Dietz Floral Studio or call (330) 923-9747.